Thursday, May 17, 2007

TMI - way too much!

Yes, my quasi Victorian mind set thinks this is too much information, but here I go anyway.

Yesterday I was alarmed to find blood in my stool. I went to the file to read the information about the drug I am getting this go on chemo. It said that even though this is not an emergency, I should contact my doctor within 24 hours because it is a situation that needs medical attention.

I sat on the couch for a few minutes. I was thinking I could just forget about this little development. I didn’t want it to mean that we couldn’t travel this weekend. But then I could see us getting 5 ½ hours away, and me getting in a really serious situation. So I bit the bullet and called

Of course, the office was closed. Now I know their schedule. I KNOW people were still in the office. In fact, I was sure Dr Poison was still in the office. He runs so late. But I got the answering service.

The operator I was speaking to was rather distant as I explained my situation. In fact, I was beginning to think I was a fool for calling. By the time she began to speak, I was becoming a basket case. She said she would have the on call physician call. I was about to cry, and I was really becooming scared.

A few minutes later I got the call. I think it was the doctor the surgeon wanted me to see. I really wish I could have gotten in with her. She was so positive and bubbly. She said a lot of her patients have problems with this "easier" regime. Her first question was if I had been constipated. Well, as a matter of fact, the pain killers put my intestines to sleep. So yes, I had been. In fact, I still had pains in my stomach. BUt I still wasn't assured because here it was three days later.

"That’s probably it" she responded. She suggested stool softeners, and advised if it got worse, I would have to go to the hospital.

I am happy to report that all systems appear to be in normal working condition! Aren’t you glad you read this. I should be so ashamed! This is not a normal report on a condition. I am turning into my mother as surely as I sit here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never feel guilty with calling the doctor, no matter what time it is. Glad it was an easy fix and now you can relax and have a wonderful weekend. Have your doctor prescribe a stool softener because the over-the-counter ones are harsh.

flying eagle woman said...

oh sister NEVER feel that you're divulging TMI!!! ;this is YOUR place to talk about whatever is in your heart!!! my prayers are with you today for tranquility in your battle and for JOY to be your strength!

HUGS
Shawna