Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The best laid plans . . .

Every single plan I had for yesterday simply evaporated. I can’t believe how much a day can change in 10 seconds!

I had my early appointment with the oncologist which I was dreading so much. Not because I was expecting something horrible from that appointment, but because I was so sleepy that I didn’t want to leave the house.

I don’t know what is causing me to not be sleepy at bed time, but it is killing me. Both Sunday and Monday nights I couldn’t fall asleep until at least 1 am. Since G gets up at 6:10, I get up also.


I was dragging around here yesterday morning. I finally got myself out the door - 15 minutes late. In my rush, I picked up the list of things to take to the SSB ( we are hosting the dinner at Wide Spot in the Road Club) instead of the handicapped placard (I TOLD you I was sleepy). I was hoping the valet parkers would be there, so I had the extra set if keys to my chariot with me.

Alas, when I arrived, there were no valet parkers yet. I guess they come to work at 9:00. When I checked my bag for the placard, it was not there. The list sat there in the bottom of my bag and gloated at me. I was parked in a handicapped space, and as I looked around, there were no close spaces. My knees preclude much walking, and the chemo drug from the first round still sends my heart pitter patting without much exertion.

Then I remembered! I still have my dad’s placard in my glove box. Just because it expired in 2005 shouldn’t deter me! I turned it over and placed it on the dash. And I was off and just in time for the appointment - nothing to spare for a change.

The oncologist was there when I was taken back, but he made me cool my heels for 45 minutes anyway. As I aired my laundry list of complaints, he wasn’t too concerned. He just prescribed more steroids. This time 5 pills before chemo and 5 after with the hopes that my joints won’t freeze up again. But I can’t believe the amount I am now going to get. I really hoped the chemo would help me lose some weight, but with all those steroids forget it!

After I left the doctor’s office I was going to that little French boutique - Target, but without my placard, I decided not to do that. I went to the computer store instead to have the lap top fixed. I had been without Wi-Fi since Easter. I left Gertrude with them and went into the store for a printer cartridge and a fire wire for the video camera. As I was leaving, they stopped me at the service desk. The "problem" with Gertrude was s simple use of a function key. That’s what turned the radio back on

So I get in my chariot, turned the key, and there was an explosion under the hood. A little smoke rose into the air. My car was dead. Absolutely dead, The first thought was G was right - we are in the market for another car (that being brought on by my having found a bad place in the upholstery). I called him at work because my phone was running on a low battery, and there was no using the car charger because the car was, remember, dead.

I asked him to call our mechanic to send a wrecker because I didn’t know how long my phone would last. He said he was coming instead.

K had been calling me without me answering for about an hour. She finally left a disparate message telling me she thought I must surely be in the hospital. I called her back - again - this time leaving her a message that my car had just exploded. She left work to sit with me.

The explosion was the battery. I don’t know what caused it. The mechanic just called to tell me the car is ready. Finding out what was wrong should be interesting.

After waiting for the wrecker and then taking K to lunch, the day was shot. So I have played catch up today since we are off to the SSB tomorrow.

So I am still itching, the port still hurts, I had to get all the groceries for the dinner today, and I will go to see Lady Bug in a kindergarten program in an hour. Situation normal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't funny how no one loses weight on chemo, just their hair! Sorry to hear that your joints are still hurting. Just keep remembering the end of the journey is near, even though the road to get there is bumpy.

Grandma K said...

I certainly have some extra pounds that I could sacrifice! While I haven't actually gained, the steroids have left me swollen!
After the last experience, I am actually dreading next week with the blood work and chemo! I guess I'll just have to bounce that bumoy road three more times.