Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The unknown awaits

Just before Christmas, I finally made the trip to the Ob-Gyn. This is one trip that I had been postponing for way too many years. I am ashamed to say just how many years, so I’m not. You would be shocked.

This particular doctor is the one who delivered Monkey Boy, and I was very impressed with him. I have now joined all the women in my family under his care. His examination was unremarkable. Everything looked good. But there is the results of the pap test and the dreaded mammogram.

The mammogram has not gotten a bit better. I still felt like a car was driven over my chest.
As I waited for the results, I was nervous. My doctor stated that if the pap was normal, he wouldn’t call. There was no call for some time. Relief flooded over me. Then just before New Year’s, his office called. The mammogram showed something, and I had to go for a "spot compression mammogram" and an ultrasound. The nurse made me an appointment for the next day, Thursday.


The "spot compression" is exactly what it sounds like. The same old procedure with even more pressure in a smaller spot. Not fun. I was full of myself with the ultrasound. Certainly that wouldn’t hurt. Ha! I could not believe the pressure.

Two days later we left for the SSB. We were to be there for 9 days. The nurse at the doctor’s office had high hopes of getting the result the next day which was a Friday. Well that didn’t happen. I am fully aware of how slow even the medical field is during the holidays.

It was on Tuesday the next week she called. I need to go to a surgeon for a biopsy. She really wanted me to return right away. I figured if it had been there for this time, a few more days will make no difference. She made me an appointment for today, a week later.

So here I sit, waiting until later to pick up the films from the imaging center to take to the surgeon. I have no clue about what awaits me. I know there is a mass. It appears large.
This blog may become one of chronicling my fight with breast cancer. I don’t know yet. All my plans suddenly have been placed on hold. I am certainly not in control of my future - as if I really ever was. None of us are in reality. We don’t know what awaits us tomorrow.


I’ll keep you posted.

No comments: