Friday, November 03, 2006

Babies, babies

They are here! I’m referring to me niece’s twins. They are health and big, but then we really expected that. The boy is 19 ½ inches and 7 pounds 12 ounces. The girl is 19 inches and 6 pounds 14 ounces. My poor niece is only about 5 feet, three inches tall. I don’t know where she managed to carry those babies.

She has been ready for a month to have them. She tried and tried to get the OB to go ahead and take them, but he refused. He had set November 2 as the date he would take them. We knew she would not be able to deliver naturally, especially since she couldn’t with her first. But she went into labor naturally, and her contractions were one minute apart by the time she got to the hospital. They are here, and all are well.

K and I have been so interested - fascinated actually. We know people who have twins, but we have never been able to follow the process through the pregnancy. I am even more amazed when I find twins while doing my genealogy. Knowing what E had to do to ensure the health of the babies was really something. It’s amazing twins lived way back then.

I keep thinking the pregnancy was really the easy part though. I just can’t imagine caring for two babies. One was always enough for me. She is getting a good taste immediately though. Even though she has a Caesarian, the hospital does rooming in. She really has gone from the proverbial frying pan into the fire.

Now I can’t wait to see them. G said since we will be going to The SSB, we will stop in the Capital City for a short visit. I just can’t wait!

No comments: