Wednesday, May 17, 2006

They've done it again!

I love to do needlework. I have done crewel, and most recently I have gotten into counted cross stitch. I made works commemorating both grandchildren’s birth . I just have to frame Monkey Boy’s. Hey, he’s not two yet! Let’s not rush into anything.

When the opportunity was presented by our church to cross stitch the baptismal napkins, I jumped at it! I can do something for the church as well as something I really love to do. What a deal.

The first few months, I had about three to do. OK. No problem. Got them done. Then at least a year went by. I didn’t do any except for Monkey Boy and his step sister. None. Flat.

About a month ago, I got a call. A napkin was needed. Oh boy, OK. The call came on a Wednesday. Guess when they needed the napkin. On Sunday. Four short days away. That meant cutting the napkin out, hemming it, doing the cross stitch shell, and putting the date and initials. I usually take at least three days because I do the stitching in spare time - like watching tv.

After I found the canvas, I began looking for the thread. I had none. After I panicked I started looking through some of the saved threads I had from other projects. I found one that was so close. I got it done, but then had to wash it, let it dry and press it. Got it done on Saturday night. Got it to Pastor at 9:15 for the 10:30 service.

So what happens today? I get a call from church. They need TWO napkins. I ask when they are needed. They are needed for the Saturday night service. The call came in at 10:30 am. We are going to the little place on Friday. At noon. There is no way.

I really hope the other person, who works full time, can get them done! I also hope out secretaries decide it's not a good idea to wait until the bulletins are being printed for the weekend services to call for napkins!

No comments: