Friday, April 07, 2006

Yesterday's news

I really need to stop reading the newspaper and listening (watching) the news. I am really incensed by what was in the paper. This is a reaction (perhaps a bit skewed to some) to what I read yesterday.

First of all. Good ole’ Tom (DeLay) will get a pension of $67,000 per year - regardless of any convictions that may happen. Plus, all those crooks up there who are helping Shrub try to deny the elderly Social Security and health benefits will all get their medical care through the government. Too bad it isn’t at the same level as the common person. Folks, teachers retirement is probably about $33,000 on average. I am not sure, but I know what mine is. Plus my health insurance, because I had to bail at 29 years costs me $365 of less than the figure I gave you before. I am luckier than most folks on Social Security. I’ll admit that, but when I see what Delay and the rest of the crooks will get, I get infuriated.

Another item in the news was about an area school district being denied a early start date. If we are going to allow most of the school districts (about 3/4 of them state wide) to start early, why was the time wasted on setting the start date of school around Labor Day instead of early August? We have such wonderful politicians in this state. The school funding special session is a prime example of such Tomfoolery. I can tell you from experience that many children do not return to school until after Labor Day. I know most are there on or about the opening day, but you could count on your class rolls swelling after Labor Day. My whole point to this rambling is very simple. You create a guideline; you keep the said guideline. Since there are so many exceptions are made, let’s get rid of the guideline if it’s not going to be enforced. I guess it gives so many of the assistant superintendents (of which my school district has far too many) something to do to justify their positions. Otherwise, they might have to go back to the (gasp) classroom. Can you imagine someone who goes into education having to do that!! Children, nasty!

Let me say at the outset of this part. Public intoxication is against the law, and very uncouth. Drunk drivers should be put under the jail. But the Alcohol Control in Texas is trolling bars to arrest drunks. Um, isn’t ths a little like shooting fish in a barrel? I’ll bet bar owners are jumping for joy over this one. It doesn’t seem to matter that the person may have a designated driver, and the like, they are cuffed and going to jail. I don’t know about this one.

Well, I usually try to steer clear of topics like this that I find in the news, but yesterday’s news was just too much for me. I am a fifth generation Texan, and for most of my life I have been proud of that fact. There are incidents that have been occurring recently that make me wonder about just how proud I should be. It seems we have provided some real clowns in the worlds of politics.

No comments: