Monday, March 06, 2006

Ride 'em cowboy

We were given tickets to the rodeo yesterday. I love going, but G often doesn’t want to go. Last year, B anc C had tickets and invited us. I realize it was a night performance, but G didn’t go. Needless to say, I was surprised when he said he would go.
The weather was typical for Houston. Hot and muggy. That’s not rodeo weather however. It should be cold and wet!
He decided that we would drive ourselves however - which turned out to be a very good idea. It seems K and S got into a huge argument. Had we ridden with them, we would have gotten there for the bull riding segment. We left the house at 1:30 and then took the Park and Ride to the Park. Since the Astrodome has been "decommissioned" we had no idea where things were. Lets just say the Reliant complex is huge! We got off the shuttle and began walking. We went into the old Arena thinking they would have the vendors there. That was another surprise. When we used to go to the stock show all the time, G was never interested. There wasn’t much going on, so we decided to take the tram to the stadium.
Our tickets were on the club level. It was G’s only time in the stadium. He was fairly impressed. We got to take an elevator up. That was great. Last year I went up an outside escalator that seemed to go up three floors. I am so afraid of heights! This year while the club was beautiful and luxurious, when we opened the door to the seats the steps were so steep! It almost sent me back into the club! We were about the only ones in the seats, and I could look straight down. Oh boy!
The rodeo was really good. We enjoyed it. The concert was outstanding. K finally found us just before the concert. Just at its end, they left to avoid traffic. We stayed. We were to take the bus. But there’s the rub. We don’t know the grounds. We looked at a map and realized that the bus tents were all the way across the complex. The line for the trams was a mile long, so no tram for us. OK. Go around the Dome then veer right. I wanted to turn right after leaving the stadium. G said left. About the time we got to the food court, I remarked that I thought we took the long way. That ticked G off - surprise. When it is hinted he is wrong, that is his reaction. Anyway, after a 30 second sit on a bench, and two blisters on my feet we made it to the tent. Our busses were at the far end. Oh agony.
Anyway we made it to a bus right away. It was nice and cool on the bus. What a relief. K called me and said they were 10 minutes from home. She got quite a kick that we were still on the bus - not moving yet. I told her I got to see some beautiful palominos, the entire rodeo, and the entire concert. The highlight, however, was as we were sitting there, G admitted I was probably right and we did, in fact, take the long way!

No comments: