Friday, March 10, 2006

Now you are family!

I’m going to let you in on a secret that only my family knows. I have resorted to wearing a wig.

When I was a child, I had thick, wavy hair. I am one of those unfortunate women who lose their hair as they age. My hair is quite thin now, and I think it never looks good. Every time I would get a haircut, the beautician would tell me how good it looked. It didn’t.

I used to have her highlight my hair in a vain attempt to cover the gray. Then the home highlight kits came out. Since I was retired, I could save some money. I still had to get it cut though. That was $42 a pop. I know, some of you pay lots more, but my hair never looked good..

I decided it was time to try a hair piece. I ordered one. When it came, I decided that there was no way for me to "blend" it in partially because of the style, but the color was all wrong. It resembled a dead rat on my head!
Then they advertised wigs - two for the price on one. Well, OK, let’s try that. When they were delivered, I thought one was way too dark while the other was too light. I put the darker one on my head. I had hair! I was really afraid to go anywhere. It would be so obvious I was wearing a wig, but I got so many heartfelt complements. Even my sister in law didn’t know it was a wig, but she really liked it. When I get the complements I have to stifle the desire to blurt out "I must let you wear it sometime."

One of my problems now is that summer is coming. Summer in Houston, Texas. Hot summer. I was lucky enough to inherit the trait of a sweaty head from my mother. This is not good.. Heat, humidity, and a wig equals sweat! I’m not sure how I am going to handle this because I have taken to cutting my own hair. And I cut it short. Does. Not. Look. Good. Alone.

I have to go to the dentist soon. I was supposed to get my permanent crown in December. They have not called, and things have been busy here. I also am worried about the wig. The crown to be put in is all the way in the back of my mouth on the upper jaw. To get to it, my head gets moved around - a lot!

It ought to be especially fun and interesting when I make an appointment with the dermatologist! I want to have a complete skin scan since my mother died from melanoma. I will be a vision. No makeup and no wig. Such is the life of this grandmother!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shave your head and tell them that you're going for the "bald is beautiful" look! I know what you mean though - I have the sweaty head, and I can't imagine wearing a wig here in Houston. At least there is a lot of air-conditioning in this city!