Friday, March 31, 2006

It's so much fun to grow old!

This week has certainly been interesting. My follow up with the ENT was fairly good. I am on a two week recall. Ugh. But I may be released after that. Things are looking better. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and I don’t think it’s a train.

The next day I got back to the dentist to have my permanent crown put on. They put the temporary on in November, and I got lost in the shuffle somehow. That is amazing because my dentist is really good and has a crack staff. With the holidays and Dad’s death, it was really easy for me to forget about calling. It was one of those Gone With the Wind things. You know - "I’ll think about that tomorrow."

I finally called last week, and they got me in yesterday. Imagine my shock when they said they hoped it still fit. Because the temporary had been there so long, there may have been some shifting. I almost died! This tooth is the last molar on the top jaw. When they were taking the impressions, I kept gagging - especially when the compound began seeping down my throat! The good news is that it still fit and is now firmly in place.

I have terrible teeth. I always have. When I was about ten, I had an abscessed tooth that had to be pulled. These days, it would have been treated. There were two in rooms near mine yesterday that were being treated. The dentist I had then was really horrible. He believed that the deciduous teeth (baby teeth) had no roots. He drilled cavities with no numbing. I have been wary of dentists to this day.

My granddaughter, Lady Bug, came across the same type of dentist two years ago. He was a pediatric dentist who should have known better. She had (and still has thanks to him) some horrible cavities. He drilled without numbing. She will not tolerate a dentist now. I don’t know what my daughter is going to do.

I digressed, forgive me. Back to the main point here. I am going to be the lucky owner of six, yes count ‘em, six new crowns next month. He is going to crown all six of my upper front teeth. You would think I’m going to be in the movies now! I guess I would rather have teeth that are mostly mine instead of a partial or full plate. My dad had full dentures top and bottom. I really don’t want that, but gee. As it is, my teeth are fracturing and breaking. I'm sure my feelings about dentists had something to do with it. My dentist has wanted to crown four of them for years.

I do like this dentist, and probably if our insurance (such as it is) had been like it is now all the time, I would have been seeing him the whole time. But it wasn't. We had to go to a large group practice, and I hated them.

Wish me luck on April 20. I will be in the chair most of the day.

No comments: