Monday, December 05, 2005

Profitable day

Yesterday I participated in our little incorporated suburb's "Holiday in the Park." It's a fun little celebration where they bring snow in for the children of our city, and collect food for one of the shelters nearby. I was hesitant to go. I feared the weather wasn't going to allow the event, but it didn't rain until the whole thing was over, so it was a success.

K and I started a little candle and crafts business about four years ago. We never have made a profit, but it was fun. I have been making jewelry this year, and began making purses also. K talked me into taking a vendor"s booth to sell these things. We also brought the candles along for good measure. The idea was "let's get rid of these suckers."

We have had those candles for about 3 years. We are getting out of business with that particular brand because they don't want us and other small dealers anymore. They have a new policy for ordering the candles. To order candles wholesale now, you must place a $500 order. When we first ordered, the minimum was about $150. We have about $300 invested in the candles. Do you see where I'm headed. If we placed a minimum now, she would inherit my half because I don't think we could sell that many in my lifetime!!

So we packed up the jewelry, purses (including the cigar box ones), candles, and what we described as "fun purses" for the little girls, and headed off to the park. We really weren't prepared to set up. The last time we set up was probably two years ago. We were a table short, so we were very cramped. We couldn't display the items - namely the jewelry well. One woman came over to look at the jewelry. She found a set she was quite taken with. She asked if we had a mirror. Eghad, we never thought of THAT!! Needless to say, even though she said she would be back - she wasn't.

We severely slashed the candle prices. People who normally buy that brand saw the price, and bought. Now these candles are wonderful candles. I love them. I'm just mad at their new policy for us small dealers. We always tried to sell them for the MSRP. Well they just didn't move. SO we set out to get rid of them. We sold eight! In four short hours, we sold eight!! To make a long story short, I'm glad K insisted we participate. We made $189!! Christmas is looking much sweeter now!

No comments: