Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Family reunion

Now those are two words that can bring fear to one's heart - especially if it is not your blood family! In my husband's families, there are family reunions. When we were first married, I didn't dread them, but I would sit and smile and look for my brother in law and his wife so there would be someone I really knew. Now, after 38 years, I actually enjoy going, and, miracles of miracles, have finally learned the cousins! Of course the cousins have had children who have grown up, and I don't know those people!

Saturday we went to his father's family reunion. I really worried about this one however. It was going to be in a hotel conference room. Now one thing this family CAN do is eat. There were no facilities in this conference room. There was no frig, stove, sink. Even when I walked in, table space was sparse. There was not room for the dishes of food. When it was time to sit and eat, space was at a premium. But that turned out to be a blessing in disguise. This is a close family. There is a lot of love there. Being this confined actually made things even better. The comment constantly being made was what fun we had at this reunion. It really was great.

We took advantage of being back in Hometown. We went to "Cathedral of the Southwest" where I had been baptized and confirmed. I felt the people who were in the narthex sensing fresh blood, so I immediately said "I was a member here 50 years ago and wanted to come back to visit since we were in town." That sort of stilled the waters some. I got to the door of the sanctuary and gave the greeter the same excuse. She asked what my name had been. When I told her, she said her name had been such and such. We had been through junior and senior high together, and been confirmed together. That was such a sweet surprise!

That evening we spent with my remaining cousin with whom I am close. He is in his late 70's. He lost his wife of almost 60 years a few months ago, and I was concerned about him. While being depressed still (but fortunately on medication for it), he is doing great. The house looks so much better. It is neater, but his wife had severe arthritis and moving was hard for her. He is doing a lot of remodeling. He is really doing great.

All in all, it was a great weekend with family for me. I did turn down a party with K's in-laws. I just wasn't in the mood for that!

No comments: